Friday, May 8, 2020

Virtual Dance Orchestra


Different strains: walking around a piece accompanied by myself…

An unexpected and fascinating aspect afforded by the Virtual Music Project is the opportunity to use the project recordings people are submitting in different ways. I’m reminded of Satie’s famous quote: ‘Before composing a piece, I walk around it several times accompanied by myself.’ Now, in the age of lockdown and isolation, I find I’m realising his idea, walking around a piece by making different versions of a piece by assembling recordings in different ways.

The virtual Dance Orchestra is a case in point; two singers have each sent in a version of ‘Don’t Get Around Much Anymore’ which we are putting together from recordings the musicians are making in isolation, Steph’s wonderfully indolent alto tones and Will’s buoyant baritone. And when you’re sent two recordings, you try to use them both.

Which is exactly what I’ve done: two versions of the tune, featuring two different voices and consequently I’ve changed the nature of the ensemble by using fewer recordings. Steph’s version is accompanied by the full (virtual) dance orchestra, whilst Will’s recording is accompanied by a leaner version of the same ensemble, to create a very different sound.

So here they are: Steph’s version:


And Will’s version:





















I hadn’t planned on creating more than one version of the pieces we are building for the Virtual Music Project, but the opportunity was too good to miss, and it’s a great way of thanking both the singers who took the time to make their respective versions. My next target is to combine the two voices into a virtual duet – I’ll keep you posted…

With apologies to American composer, Steve Reich, for the title of this blogpost)
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment